How to Replace Lavatory Faucet Cartridges
The following instructions apply to a widespread lavatory faucet.
1. Turn Off the Hot and Cold Water to the Faucet
- Beneath the sink, locate the shut-off handles for the hot and cold water lines.
- Turn the water source valves clockwise ↻ to close the valves and turn off the hot and cold water.
2. Remove Each Handle and Escutcheon
- Remove the set screw be sure not to lose it of the handle, then remove the handle.
- Use your bare hands to unscrew the escutcheon by turning it counterclockwise ↺. To get a better grip, try wearing rubber gloves. If you cannot remove the escutcheon with your hands, use a strap wrench with a rubber strap. If you still cannot remove the escutcheon, use a strap wrench.
3. Disconnect Each Hose
- Beneath the sink, unscrew and disconnect the water hoses from the hot and cold faucet valves.
4. Remove Each Valve
- Above the sink, turn the blue teflon holding nut counterclockwise ↺ to unscrew and remove it.
- Remove the faucet valve.
5. Remove Each of the Existing Cartridges
- Place the valve in a vise to hold it steady. Be sure to put some protective material around the valve to protect the threads.
- Use a socket wrench or adjustable wrench to turn the cartridge counterclockwise ↺ to unscrew and remove the cartridge from the top of the valve.
6. Install Each New Cartridge
- Insert the new cartridge onto the top of the valve and turn it clockwise ↻ using a socket wrench or adjustable wrench.
- Adequately tighten the new cartridge. Do not under-tighten or over-tighten the cartridge.
7. Reinstall Each Valve
- From underneath the sink, insert the valve through the hole in the sink or counter.
- Above the sink, insert and screw in the blue teflon holding nut.
- Below the sink, screw the blue teflon holding nut to tighten the valve in place.
- Adjust the blue teflon holding nuts above and below the sink as needed, to adjust the height of the valve.
8. Reconnect the Hoses to the Valves
- Beneath the sink, screw and connect the water hoses to the hot and cold water valves.
9. Install Handles and Escutcheons
- Use your bare hands to screw the escutcheon into place by turning it clockwise ↻. To get a better grip, try wearing rubber gloves.
- Insert the handle into place and screw in the set screw into the side of the handle.
10. Turn On the Hot and Cold Water
- Beneath the sink, turn the hot and cold water valves counterclockwise ↺ to open them.